Sunday, July 22, 2007

My First Experience Studying At UNITEN

Ohayo!
Hello, everyone! (especially to Ms Eliza who will definitely read my post every week until the end of my programme at UNITEN, any mistakes so far Ms Eliza?) Ms Eliza is my IELTS teacher so she will be checking my English and grammar.(ha...ha...) She is really very friendly. Before I write about my topic today, I guess I should try to introduce myself.

My name is Joseph Lau Chih Hin. I am 18 years old and I am currently taking the Preparatory Program for Overseas Universities(PPOU) at Tenaga National University(UNITEN in short) under the scholarship from the Ministry of Education(MOE). Am I using to many brackets Ms Eliza? So, I am going to be a teacher! Hurray! Under the scholarship, I am to be a physics teacher and after one year and a half at UNITEN I will be flying, hopefully, unless I fail my exams and IELTS to Australia or New Zealand! I am aiming for the Melbourne University because my girlfriends(plural) are there...ha...ha... No, just friends actually. Therefore, I pledge to work hard and pass my PPOU with flying colours with the help from my lecturers, parents and my friends around me.
I will write more about that later and concentrate on my topic before Ms Eliza scold me for going out of topic. :) I arrived at UNITEN on Monday, the 16th of July, 2007. (Remember to write in past tense!) The registration was quite packed like in a sardine can and there were many students reporting for the UNITEN's second intake. I was the the second batch under the PPOU programme. Everything when fine until suddenly my father called and told that the taxi carrying my stuff had vanished! I cannot describe what my mother and I felt when we heard that! We franctically called the taxi for the next few minutes but there was no answer! The next half an hour was the most agonising moment of my life! I had brought so many things from Bintulu, Sarawak and the next second it was gone. My father resorted to call the police. Luckily, Mr. Charles and Puan Fatimah was there to console my mother and I. Mr. Charles called the taxi driver and he answered! He agreed to bring our things back. Praise the Lord! Only afterwards we realised that he parked his taxi somewhere else without informing us and my dad could not find him. Luckily again, my father had not called the police and everything was better after that. What a shocking experience to arrive at UNITEN!
The next day, the lectures started already because we were late two weeks behind the first batch. It was difficult for me to adjust to my new surroundings. The lecturers were good but I could not exactly pay attention in class because I had many other things to ponder like what is a student ID and how to do my student ID, how to catch the bus, where on earth is the foodcourt and what to eat, how to fax and send letters to Bintulu, where to do register for my cocuriculum activity(is there a debate club, Ms Eliza?), how to do my medical checkup etc. Life was hard but God was kind to me and I manage to cope with the different environment around me. Praise the Lord! I miss the bus 5 times already this week...ha...ha... I hope that next week will be much better. (Catching the bus and not breaking the record!)
UNITEN is very big and the buildings are big as well. What I like to compliment about UNITEN is that the hostels are very good and the university is very clean! I like my room very much. I just hope that UNITEN tries to improve its bus service so that students like me and my housemates, who do not own a car or motorcycle can travel within the campus easily because not every site is a stone throw away. Thank you very much. Speaking(or writing) about housemates, I have two housemates who are Izzat and Uzair. They are easy to get along with and are good friends.
My lectures for my first week was just average as I am still trying to fit in. I flunked my first physics experiment about momentum in Mr Liaw Hock Sangs's class about momentum. According to the Law of Conservation of Momentum, momentum is suppose to be conserved but my experiment broke that law...haha...My difference for the iniatial momentum and the final momentum was over 100%. That means momentum will go haywire after collision! OOPS! My physic test was not so good either. Haha..More like scramble eggs if you know what I mean. Very messy! I got piles of homework to be done and feeling a bit homesick. I called back home more than 3 times everyday! It looks like my phone bills is going to rocket up. I love the sound of rain and thunder because it makes me feel like to hearing home. The sound of rain and thunder here is just like home. :) I would not want it rain so often or then, I will not have any dry clothes to wear.
I love weekends when there are no lectures. Then, I can just relax and do some reading or surfing the net and keeping contact with old friends. That ends my first week at UNITEN. Hopefully next week will be better. Sorry, if my English is not so good because I know I still have to improve on my vocabulary and many other things but that is why I am here blogging and in UNITEN's PPOU. Thank you to all my lecturers and the government for giving me this opportunity. I pledge to do my best and reach for the stars!

1 comment:

AB said...

i like this post even though it's already been a year, i enjoyed reading it. i currently away from study because i already have a job. but on 24 november this year i'm going to enter uniten for bachelor of E&E course. i keep looking an information about uniten and i hope you could tell me more since you are there..i really appreciate if you can do that.. for your information, i just graduated from utm kuala lumpur in Electrical field (diploma holder) last august..